Super Central Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nibun

SC TTT Server inflation

Hi! im sure you all know me but I have a possible idea to bolster user traffic.

Generally, The gist of it is to have a organized login onto the server at a planned time and date. The goal of this is to have people come back on so that people arent warded off by the big 0

The idea is still in concept so I would be extremely open to new suggestions and to know when you all are available

The problem with set times and dates is it makes the community seem too much like a business, with shifts for staff instead of the role as a voluntary position.

With this being said, a main reason for the decline is a general number of staff and regulars ALIKE being occupied with life events.  This is something we can't help and something we encourage each of our staff to take care of.  This is a community where we take care of one another = we tell our staff to handle their own lives before committing to coming on the server.

Taco has been working extensively on server-based stuff so you can talk to him directly about it.  I know several staff who have brought this up already and we are coming up with solutions to combat this.

TL;DR We're handling it, but staff and user mental health and personal lives come first.

12 hours ago, Micah said:

The problem with set times and dates is it makes the community seem too much like a business, with shifts for staff instead of the role as a voluntary position.

Havent we in the past though arranged meeting on the teamspeak? My point is by trying to arrange this is give the server a little kick so it wakes up after that its up and about

7 hours ago, Nibun said:

Havent we in the past though arranged meeting on the teamspeak? My point is by trying to arrange this is give the server a little kick so it wakes up after that its up and about

Setting meeting times for staff members is an important aspect for any organization.  We still have staff meetings just not set times for our staff members to be active.  It impedes on their lives too much more than we would like it.

Fact of the matter is I don't plan on implementing any sort of quota or time slots for our staff.  I never intend to do so in the future as it implies there isn't a choice of when to come on.  I don't want to eliminate free will and make this seem like a labor-based job, when it isn't.  It isn't a job.  It's a volunteer opportunity (in fact I acknowledge the value of it as a volunteer opportunity rather than a profession by applying it into resumes, etc.). 

There are going to be periods of drought on the server for various reasons and some of them we don't have control over.  I firmly believe there is more that can be done to improve player and staff playtime but I also think we shouldn't be forcing people to come on. It just isn't our style.

I've been away from the server focusing on university, but I have had some thoughts shared with Taco already about things we can do to boost community as a whole.  Remember this community isn't solely about GMod TTT.  We do have other things in place and shouldn't base our entire success on a singular server.

I like the idea of it but Micah is right about the voluntary point of it. A better idea would be to set up a date and time for maybe a special event or something and anyone that has free time would want to join. I really want Supercentral to become active again as playing on it was one of the most fun things I've done. I encourage ideas to help make people want to join again but if people are busy then let them be busy.