Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Rip the Minecraft server

Should we have a new Minecraft server?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do we want a Minecraft server?

• Yes
    • No

As you all know ( "all" being BatDan and I ) the Minecraft server is no longer in existence. The server server was, quote, "Really expensive, and no one has been on in a month." or something like that. Anyways the point is that the server gone and it probably won't come back ( at least not on the same map ).

What are your thoughts?

Why haven't you played on the server in a month? 

If it does come back what do you think would make it better?

Should we add mods?

Should it be whitelisted?

Will it have world edit?

Can I use it to build my maps on?

Does anyone even care?

I am planning on bringing another server up hopefully soon. My computer can't really handle large modpacks (even HermitCraft's new Xisuminati pack has lag spikes) so I was thinking of just a server-side modded only server for now.

I wasn't on it for personal reasons, too much going on.

If you want a modded one, put together a small modpack and send it to me.

Or, check out Xisuminati and let me know if you are okay with that one (I'll probably be able to deal with the lag spikes I got)

I think Chris is just doing his own personal server when he's creating maps anyway. I think you need access to the raw minecraft map file to turn it into a GMod map.

I will look into getting world edit installed so i can paste them in my own game ( my comp is not strong enough to do all the heavy editing by itself ) 

also - sourcecraft (the program that we use to convert the worlds) runs best on 1.7.5 - 1.7.10 we haven't tested it on 1.8 yet

Edited by Chris

Cool, it is easier to distribute a schematic vs the whole map.

I'm planning on using the Xisuminati pack for the server, so it will be running 1.7.10. I am planning on launching the server as a whitelist-only that anyone can request access for (after jumping through some hoops)

Small problem Chris, I can't seem to get WorldEdit or Schematica working (Schematica is an incompatibility with another mod). It looks like I can use MCEdit to gather it.

OR

I can give you a section on another server that I am using to link a Minecraft account to a forum account. It runs on 1.8 Spigot, so I can add WorldEdit and give you access to it and allow you to download the raw world file. You just can't touch the Mushroom island (you'll see when I release it soon)

OR

You can continue using your local game.

I agree that vanilla is quite boring the reason it was vanilla was simply that it was build off a Hamachi server a couple SC regs where running.

anyway if someone wanted to make a modded minecraft server it would be a big mistake to do a custom pack not only would it be a massive undertaking to make it would never be stable and you would have to maintain it as mods update... anyways I would say the best way to go would be ftb infinity its very up to date and well maintained it also has some degree of administrative features. furthermore that since it is maintained by a team of coders/scripters it is pretty well optimized, stable and far less intensive as one might think.

anyway if someone wanted to make a modded minecraft server it would be a big mistake to do a custom pack not only would it be a massive undertaking to make it would never be stable and you would have to maintain it as mods update...

Which is why I selected someone else's pack :)

anyways I would say the best way to go would be ftb infinity its very up to date and well maintained it also has some degree of administrative features. furthermore that since it is maintained by a team of coders/scripters it is pretty well optimized, stable and far less intensive as one might think.

While I agree it is better to go with something more well maintained, it is still an intensive pack (I get 15 FPS on it and 25 FPS with the pack I selected). Given that I play on a laptop and my fiancee wants to play with me (she plays on my custom PC while I'm on my laptop), I'd rather pick something lighter. If I had a steady stream of donations (if we are getting any currently, I don't see any of it), I wouldn't mind setting up multiple servers.

I'm hoping to have the Xisuminati server ready soon. I just finished up my whitelist script, so I'll probably release details about that today or tomorrow.